Monday, March 2, 2009

G Rated Disney Films...or so they say

After reading Christensen's article I thought about the messages that are being sent through cartoons and also movies. Disney is a big part of this issue of racism and sexism that is being sent through cartoons. I know that we are suppose to wait until after the class discussion, but this is one thing that I needed to get out right away. Here is a video that I found on Youtube that shows different points that Christensen was talking about in her article. Enjoy :)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Mike,

    I know exactly what you mean. They show all the Native Americans looking exactly the same except for height/ weight features. They have the traditional smaoking in a circle and teepee in a background. It's so true how it makes it so much easier for kids to stereotype people.
    -Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I wonder if it really was put there on purpose, and i know the sexual stuff was but i dont know its a hard thing to decided..

    ReplyDelete
  3. To go off Becca's point, I don't think that the racism is on purpose but that doesn't make it less racist! (BTW, i want you to post your TPs BEFORE class not after. And you are free to add stuff like this at anytime you think of it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This video is really bad! I wonder if they meant to put it in as well. I think that they did. I think that they knew it was racist but they could get away with it at the time. If something like that came out today I bet people would be much more angry about it.

    ReplyDelete